May 17, 2010

Live Fast Die Fast Comes Alive! "Iron Maiden - Death on the Road"

"There's no way you wanna hear this sleazy trumpet. But I'm gonna play it fuckin' anyway."
Is It Really Live?
Uh huh.
Is It Official?
Uh huh
Where was it recorded?
Westfallenhalle Arena, Dortmund, Germany, November 24, 2003.
What are the details?
Iron Maiden have released a ton of live records and have also been bootlegged extensively. I am naturally suspicious about the purpose of this record, which was released in 2005 and recorded during the band's "Dance of Death," tour.
The crowd seems primed for the opener, "Wildest Dreams," singing along enthusiastically.
The chorus is a bit weak  and it follows the same sort of formula as "Wickerman," but it actually come off okay live. "Wrathchild," is a great choice to follow. "Can I Play With Madness," was never one of my favorites and the "Trooper," is obligatory and done as well as ever.
Big cheers for "Dance of Death's," classical intro. The audience seems stoked, lots of hand-clapping which almost makes you think you're not listening to a mediocre song. It starts of kind of like "Fear of the Dark," and the fast part sounds very close to part of "Hallowed Be Thy Name." The audience sing-a-long "whoas," pop up eventually. I've  noticed new Iron Maiden songs often contain parts that seem designed for large arenas to chant along in unison. The song offers all the typical ingredients but nothing new or memorable. "Rainmaker," is even worse. Are they borrowing titles from John Grisham novels now?
Every song seems to start with a line like, "I was walking down the road." While I'm listening to this I can picture someone - my Mom, maybe - saying
"What do you like about this Iron Maiden band so much?"
 Then I'd say "Their older stuff is really good. Seriously!"
Ever have that conversation about a band?
Somewhere around this point I'm wondering if they've manipulated the crowd noise somehow.

"Brave New World," is a decent song but the song from that from that record that remains on the set list should be "Wicker Man," or "Ghost of the Navigator." There's only 3 good songs there to begin with.
Two minutes of pyro explosions and a dumb spoken intro begin,"Paschendale," "D.O.D.'s," "epic," tune. 
Gee... war really sucks eh? Yup, totally.
"Hey Bruce! Steve! Could you guys play "Aces High?" I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Sample lyric; "no chance to live again." 
Dead soldiers can't come back to life? I'm pretty sure I knew that already. "Paschendale," sucks. Get Over it.
Whoa - crappy sounding guitar intro. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Janick Gers. Here's one you may not know or care about; "Lord of The Flies," from one of the Blayze Bailey albums. Boo! Hiss!
Sample lyric "saints and sinners ... something ... something winners (?) In my dumpster, there's always binners. (I added the last part.)
Even fans who alway buy Maiden and Motorhead's new albums may have to admit they get excited when the new record comes out, maybe listen to it a bunch and then completely forget about it once the next one is released.
Have you ever been at your buddy's place having a few beers and said "Wanna hear some Iron Maiden?"
And he said, "Sure, how about Brave New World?"
No you haven't. You do "Live After Death,"or either of the Di'Anno albums or nothing.
Oh, remember when I said "Rainmaker," was the worst new song? Sorry, it's "No More Lies."
What's with the lyrics? "I was sitting at the table, drinking a glass of wine...." Whatever happened to "You'll take my life but I'll take yours too?" The new songs at a Maiden show should be the piss-break songs except they're so long and there's so many of them you'd spend more time in the can than watching the band. Then we get the songs they are contractually obligated to play; "Hallowed Be Thy Name," "Fear of The Dark," "Iron Maiden," "Journeyman." Oh wait they snuck another new one in there. Geez I must've drank too much coffee the morning, I'll be right back. Oh and I can hear Janick Gers screwing around and I think he messed up on the riff on "Hallowed Be Thy Name," too way to go, cock face. I know you're bored but it's costing the audience money to be there and you're getting paid. Can you fake it a bit better please? Bruce's voice is a bit strained on "Number of the Beast." I imagine it's a real pain i the ass trying to do that epic scream right near the end of every show. Good on him for trying anyway.


Disc One

  1. Wildest Dreams
  2. Wrathchild
  3. Can I Play with Madness
  4. The Trooper
  5. Dance of Death
  6. Rainmaker
  7. Brave New World
  8. Paschendale
  9. Lord of the Flies

Disc Two

  1. No More Lies
  2. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  3. Fear of the Dark
  4. Iron Maiden
  5. Journeyman
  6. The Number of the Beast
  7. Run to the Hills