January 15, 2010

East Van


Maybe I'm getting my period, but when I drove past the East Van sign on Clark Dr. today I nearly wept. In the ten + years I've lived in Vancouver, I've rarely left the Eastside by choice, except to leave the city completely. I never felt the need to scribble the East Van cross on things. I think it's obvious to anyone with any common sense what's good about our city and what isn't. Anybody that needs to be told doesn't get it in the first place. But ... on the eve of the Olympics, with Olym-Pigs swarming to give me traffic tickets every fucking day and with the world about to descend on us and celebrate "what makes us great" by basically ruining it, this symbol gives me hope. Whoever Ken Lum is and whatever his motives, this is a middle finger in the face of the VANOC Gestapo and should give hope to anyone who wants to stop these invaders from trying to squish us. Makes me want to climb up onto my roof and erect my own.