April 2, 2010

Sorry, Matt!

"Do they owe us a living? Of course they do."
Well, I've always said that I would make sure to own up to my mistakes if I ever made one and it's finally happened! Yours truly went ahead and downloaded the leaked copy of High on Fire's "Snakes For the Divine," and due to, sleep deprivation or pure laziness did not even think of listening to any of the tracks on youtube or the band's myspace.
This leak was, brilliantly, a fake. Someone took The Kalas album, featuring Matt Pike on vocals from a number of years back, which I was aware of but had never bothered listening to, and re: tagged it with the track listing of "Snakes For The Divine." So what you had was a full album of songs, which clearly featured Matt Pike's vocals, that many people, including myself, had not heard.
The difference is that, while there are enough similarities to HOF to make it seem plausible, the songs are much more melodic, the guitar playing is less aggressive and High-On-Fire-like (Pike doesn't play guitar) and the songs are much less riffy, intense and distorted.
I admit that I goofed; I had not previously heard the Kalas record, and didn't do the necessary detective work to figure it out.I only confirmed my suspicions long after writing a post that, despite my skepticism, I still published.
 Well, let me me say for the record"Snakes For The Divine," is great. My apologies to Matt, Des and Jeff  for suggesting their album is, in any way, a disappointment . I now retire officially from the  news business.