April 29, 2010

Live Fast/Die Fast Comes Alive! "Black Sabbath Live, 1975, Asbury Park New Jersey"

"I put on my clothes that make me look tall.
I don’t think about it, I don’t think at all."
Is It Official? 
Nope
Is It Really Live? 
Yup
Where Was It Recorded? 
Convention Hall, Asbury Park New Jersey, August 5 1975
Although I could probably do a monthly feature just on Black Sabbath and Sabbath related live records, I'm only doing the double shot to highlight the differences I alluded to between this unofficial live recording and the "official,"unofficial release, "Live at Last."
The concert was recorded for "The King Biscuit Flower Hour," and not used, then widely bootlegged.
It's a longer album, that's for sure. It's from the, "Sabotage," tour, not the "Vol 4." which makes for some awesome set list inclusions.The sound is much better and so is the energy.
Ozzy is on fire;
"Are you high?!" he screams at the top of his lungs that roars back at him. "Are you high?!"
"Well so am I!" Amazing
"You may not know this next number it's from our new album, "Sabotage." It's a number entitled, "Hole In The Sky."
I nearly piss my pants with joy every time I hear that very dry intro and then the thunderous intro and not just the best Sabbath riff but probably the best riff in the world. Neck breaking awesomeness.
Ozzy keeps gushing "We love you!" at the crowd and you can feel that he means it and they love him back.
You can feel the energy building to a climax when Ozzy yells, "C'mon you motherfuckers!" an utterance that, today is used commonly but that in 1975 was shocking to hear on a record.
"Megalomania," is another rare "Sabotage," track and there's the obligatory solos for everybody. Ozzy still shouts himself hoarse but it's endearing instead of embarrasing. His unbridled enthusiasm made him one of the most charismatic frontmen ever. This recording proves it.

The Set:
Disc 1
1. Supertzar / Killing Yourself To Live
2. Hole In The Sky
3. Snowblind
4. Symptom Of The Universe
5. War Pigs
6. Tuning
7. Megalomania

Disc 2
1. Sabbra Cadabra / Drum solo
2. Supernaut
3. Iron Man
4. Jam / Guitar solo
5. Black Sabbath
6. Spiral Architect
7. Children Of The Grave
8. Paranoid